Blog party: Favorite things in my town
While I may spend a lot of time writing about our house and the fascinating things that take place here, I rarely talk about the beautiful surroundings in which we live. And there is a lot to talk about. And a lot to look at.
Before I start, though, I have to admit that Maine is not truly my home. I am a Vermont girl through and through, and I have to take a moment to give a shout-out to my home state that is showing its resiliency through unfathomable flooding and damage from Hurricane Irene. Thankfully my family in Vermont was unaffected, but it is heartbreaking to see familiar roads washed away, historic covered bridges demolished and towns that are under water.
But back to Bar Harbor, located on beautiful Mount Desert Island on the coast of Maine. In the winter Bar Harbor is a quiet, quaint community of a few thousand. And in the summer we welcome millions of tourists, here to see the sights and visit Acadia National Park. The park is by far my favorite thing in our town.
Whether I’m passing parts of the park on my way to work, or actually getting out for a hike or run, I get to enjoy Acadia National Park every day. My favorite part? The incredible contrast of dark pines, cool granite and the deep blue ocean, all side-by-side. Plus there are more than 100 hiking trails and 45 miles of carriage roads which are perfect for walking and running.
So what are some of my other favorite things? Well, here is my personal list of must-hits:
- Window Panes. This cute little shop has everything you need from kitchen supplies and linens to decor and accessories. Any good domestic adventuress would approve.
- Mount Desert Island Ice Cream. Need ice cream? Go here. Get the coconut. (That’s what President Obama did, after all.) Ice cream is bipartisan.
- Stewman’s Lobster Pound. Here is my big confession: I don’t eat lobster. I know, I know, I live in Maine. But the red guys just don’t do it for me. But most people love them. So you can have them here and enjoy a nice view of the harbor, like we did for lunch back in May (I had a chicken sandwich, FYI).
- Fiore Artisan Olive Oils and Vinegars. If you like to cook, Fiore is the place to go. They have varieties of balsamic vinegar (like pomegranate, which is in my kitchen cabinets) and olive oil (like organic Tuscan herb that I need to refill. You can taste anything that strikes your fancy. Isn’t that fancy?
- Visit the shops. The streets of downtown Bar Harbor are lined with cute shops—some filled with t-shirts and others filled with unique Maine products, and everything in between. I could spend any sunny summer afternoon strolling. And eating. And strolling.
Ah, Bar Harbor. We love living here. Thanks for taking a break with me today to explore our beautiful town! Do let me know if you’re coming for a visit!