Take it to the hoop

{Pssst…find the full reveal of the finished nursery here!}

Decorating with fabric scraps and embroidery hoops is nothing new.  I know this because I’ve seen it done all across the interwebs in about a gazillion ways.  But I can’t help but love it when a good idea comes to life in my own home.  In this case, the hoops are adding a splash of color to the walls of our nursery-in-progress.

I was really proud of myself for finding a way to incorporate the yellow clock I found at Target.  Normally my clock creativity would be centering it on some wall and having it stand alone.  Now it fits right in among the hoops.

I was also proud of my random idea to add an elephant silhouette to one of the hoops.  This might be my first sort-of-original idea ever.  But does it count as an original idea if it is a play on an overdone idea?

Oh, and I decided to spray paint my hoops black.  I think this helps them stand out a bit more and look more like frames.

When I was explaining this project to Chris, he thought the best part was that these “dots” can someday come down and make way for NFL decorations.  How long shall I let him live in his dream world that his son will have a NFL-themed room?

Also, do you think I need one more small hoop in the lower left corner?  Now that I’m looking at these pictures, I feel like one more might be in order?  Your feedback is most appreciated.

Linked to:

26 comments

1. Caitlin Nyunt says:

I just wanted to tell you how much I love your site. I found it about a month ago and I look for your updates daily! I was so excited this morning when I saw your post on hoops, I have been obsessing over them for weeks now!! I also put them up in my son’s nursery as well as my bedroom (perhaps overkill, but I can’t get enough of them!) Anyway beautiful job with yours, keep up the amazing work :)

• Erin says:

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks so much for your sweet comment. Glad you found the blog and that you enjoy it. The hoops are such a fun and easy way to decorate…I bet they look great in your house!

xo,
      – e

2. Heather says:

Love it! I love the color palette and the addition of the elephants!

My DH also has dreams of a football pennant room or something when Little Dude gets older. I have not shattered that dream for him yet.

3. Allison says:

What a great idea and such a fun wall! I love it! I was thinking if you wanted to add one more small hoop you could use your crib sheet fabric. That would add another pop of the bright yellow like your clock. It also looks great as is! Just a thought.

4. So cute – love the little elephant guy!

When I first saw it, I kind of thought that you needed another one… but after looking at it more, it’s pretty cool as is – asymmetric is all the rage! :) I think if you add anything, maybe choose something other than the fabric & hoop so that the clock guy isn’t the only different piece. But only add it if it really bothers you, because I think it’s great as is!

5. Jessica says:

I LOVE the fabric you choose for these! It looks so modern and classy yet fun and simple. Great idea to put the clock up too. It looks fabulous!!

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

6. i love this! i found your blog through a comment you left on someone else’s and i am glad i did! i’ve been wanting to so this same thing in my bedroom, but spray paint the hoops white. I’m glad to see yours look great!! and i love the addition of the clock! will i be copying it? yes, i will! (and give you bloggy credit, of course!) :)

7. Heather says:

Did you glue the fabric on to the hoop at all or just place it and tighten the hoop?

I love the idea. I’m trying it now for our baby’s room! We have similar colour schemes too!

• Erin says:

Hi Angelia,

Sorry to be a bit slow in responding. I knew I had typed out the fabric sources somewhere, and I just found it on my full nursery reveal:

Embroidery hoop wall art: (top) Amy Butler Lotus Full Moon Polka Dot Lime; (top left) Amy Butler Midwest Modern II Park Fountain Mustard; (center) Michael Miller Farmers Market Apple Dot Spring; (center left) Amy Butler Midwest Modern Martini Mustard; (bottom) Michael Miller (print seems to gone from Fabric.com–sorry!)

Hope this helps!

xo,
      – e

• Adrienne says:

I’m LOVING this nursery….I also LOVE the blue fabric on the bottom hoop….I know it’s discontinued, but do you recall the name of the particular pattern?