Home is where the ornament is

With work travel, grad classes and baking for a community event, I had no idea where I would find time this week to participate in the fourth challenge from the Dare to DIY Blog Party.  The challenge this time was to make a homemade holiday gift.

I dreamed of making stockings, scented sugars or cozy candle holders to mimic those I admired at Anthropologie last week.  But, as time ran out, I opted for a quick holiday ornament project that I saw in a Twitter update from DIY Magazine.

(By the way, did I mention you can follow me on Twitter?)

This project immediately appealed to me because the ornaments are made from old holiday cards, which I happen to have on hand (see, Chris, I told you they were worth saving…).

Using a simple downloadable template from DIY Magazine, I got to work.  First I collected my craft knife, hole punch, glue runner and yarn.  Next I strategically picked cards and cut out the pieces.  I scored the back of the pieces ever-so-lightly with the knife so that they would fold nicely.

I couldn’t quite tell from the directions how this adorable little house would hang, so I improvised by punching a hole in the roof and threading through a loop of yarn, secured by a knot.  With that in place, I applied glue to the roof and base and attached the pieces to the house.

It took me less than an hour to make six, so this is a quick and easy project.  I think these little houses will look adorable all boxed up and gifted for the tree of someone special.  My sister Holly and her husband Adam just bought their first house, so maybe they need a few new ornaments (If you’re reading guys, no surprise for you!).

I might have to make a bunch more, because they look pretty good on my own little entryway tree…

I’m excited to see what all of the other talented DIYers came up with for the Blog Party.  Check them out because it’s not too late for you to make your own holiday gifts!

Dare to DIY

I am also linking this up to Centsational Girl’s Ornament Party, so head on over there to check out all of the pretty ornaments!

1. That is absolutely adorable. I’m def. keeping our holiday cards this year, I recycled them last year and this year I’ve seen so many recycling projects for them.

Thanks for sharing and for taking the time to make these for the blog party. =)

2. Janis from Scotland says:

They are as cool a cucumber Erin…………totally delightful. Who would have thought you could make something out of old Xmas cards. Me – I just couldn’t contemplate it and definitely don’t have the patience and would end up running out to buy something instead.

You’ve got a gift, girl.

• Erin says:

Thanks, everyone! These were really fun and easy to make, I swear!

Did you end up getting your tree up this weekend?

I’m able to get a lot of projects done while watching TV! Or while my husband is hogging the TV with football and shows DVRing on the other TV…

– e

3. MC says:

I love these! I’ve made ornaments out of old Christmas and wedding cards (the ones people only wrote on one side of), but they weren’t 3-D. I love these even more than my old ones!

4. So cute! Now I wish I’d kept last year’s cards. It’s such a nice way to “upcycle”. :) I don’t know where you find the time to do all of these cute projects. Perhaps I just watch too much tv!

5. Janis from Scotland says:

Hi Erin,

Yes got the tree up and decorated on Sunday. Had just finished washing all the windows and then the rain came down…..argh. No matter – tree looks lovely and makes me feel more Christmassy. Didn’t put up as much decorations as last year – think Santa’s grotto ha ha.

Usually take down just before going back to work on 5th January.

• Erin says:

Thanks, Marianne and Janice! Glad you popped over.

Welcome to all of you gals visiting from Centsational Girl’s Ornament Party!

– e

6. Ashley says:

wow, how easy is that. Love the little house. I always keep my holiday cards with plans to reuse, but then I can never figure out what to do with them. This is a great idea!

7. Jane says:

These are fabulous! Making these today! Also, I wanted to make some tiny houses with my fourth graders for their snow globe project and these might just fit the bill.

8. Tricia Anne says:

Good Morning.
    I am visiting through Kimba to take a look at your card ornaments. Goodness these are cute!
    I would love to try this idea. :o) Thank you for sharing.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne